Prepare the sushi rice according to packet instructions.
For maki sushi:
- Place one nori sheet with the smooth side face down on the bamboo mat. The seaweed sheet should line up with the mat on the bottom.
- Spread a handful of rice on the nori sheet, leaving one long side uncovered. Then place the ingredients cut into strips horizontally on the lower third of the seaweed sheet. Now moisten the free long side of the nori sheet with a little water.
- Take the bottom end of the mat and carefully lift it up and roll so that the bottom end of the mat is just underneath the uncovered long side of the nori sheet. Press the roll together and roll it over the uncovered long side.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the finished roll into two pieces. Place the two pieces next to each other and cut them into thirds to form six equally sized pieces.
- Repeat this step with the other three nori sheets.
- Take a handful of rice from the bowl. Use your hands to form the rice into a wedge with approximately the same size and shape as a wine cork.
- Now cover the rice with the trimmed ingredients.
I personally love sushi and simply can't get enough of these tasty little rice-based morsels. To show you how to get your sushi perfect next time, I've provided these super-easy recipes for maki and nigiri just for you!
- Paula, our sushi specialist